Image 1 of 1
Statue by Gilbert Ledward. Soane Square is a small hard-landscaped square on the boundaries of the central London districts of Knightsbridge, Belgravia and Chelsea. The square was formerly known as 'Hans Town', laid out in 1771 to a plan of by Henry Holland. Both the square and Hans Town were named after Sir Hans Sloane (1660–1753), an Irish doctor who, jointly with his appointed trustees, owned the land at the time.